Skip to content

From the end of September 2020 homeowners and landlords in England can take advantage of the Government’s Green Homes Grant. To be eligible you must own your home which can include residential park homes, long-leaseholders and shared ownership; or be a private or social residential landlord. It applies to homes in England only and excludes new builds that have not been previously occupied.

Grants cover primary and secondary improvement measures up to two thirds of the costs such as labour, materials and vat,  with the Government’s contribution being up to a maximum of £5,000, or £10,000 if you or a household member receive certain benefits (this upper limit is not available to Landlords). Landlords should consider  that the Green Homes Grant counts towards the total “de minimis state aid” permitted  over a 3 year period, and must have a minimum Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E or otherwise provide proof an any exemption to qualify. You can read the full Government guidance on criteria, qualifying works, restrictions, exclusions and how the voucher system works here and our brief summary below:

Primary measures include one of the following insulation or heat measures such as:

  • solid wall insulation (internal or external)
  • cavity wall insulation
  • under-floor insulation (solid floor, suspended floor)
  • loft, flat roof, pitched roof or room in the roof insulation
  • insulating a park home
  • air or ground source heat pump
  • solar thermal (liquid filled flat plate or evacuated tube collector)
  • biomass boiler
  • hybrid heat pump

Secondary measures

After installing at least 1 primary measure and redeemed that voucher you may also receive vouchers  to cover the cost of any of the following secondary measures (the costs not exceeding the primary voucher worth).

Windows and doors e.g.

  • draught proofing
  • double or triple glazing (where replacing single glazing)
  • secondary glazing (in addition to single glazing)
  • energy efficient replacement doors (replacing single glazed or solid doors installed before 2002)

Heating controls and insulation e.g.

  • hot water tank thermostat
  • hot water tank insulation
  • heating controls (such as, appliance thermostats, smart heating controls, zone controls, intelligent delayed start thermostat, thermostatic radiator valves)

Some common exemptions include:

  • Professional services such as Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs), building surveys, building design, modelling and calculations not linked to a retrofit
  • Contractor costs such as training costs for contractors, asbestos removal and additional building insurance premiums or certification fees
  • Building work such as exempt retrofit measures, changes to homes not linked to energy efficiency improvements (general repairs, underpinning, window design changes, re-roofing, electricity or gas safety work, damp proofing), boiler replacement or repair, decoration not linked to a retrofit, furniture storage and removal, and alternative accommodation
  • Installing insulation to any of the following: new extensions built to current building permission, extensions without building or planning permission, or without fixed heating, outbuildings, conservatories without fixed heating

You can check your eligibility, the criteria, restrictions and apply for a voucher here.

As with all our blogs, this is meant as a general overview of the scheme. Readers should read all the available Government guidance and take further advice. If you are an AB landlord and would like to talk to our property managers regarding improvement works please contact Ashleigh Taylor at our East Grinstead office on 01342 321142, or Daniel Walker at the Tunbridge Wells office on 01892 525522.